As an enterprise with full metallurgical cycle PJSC “Ilyich Iron and Steel Works of Mariupol” pays a special attention to environmental measures. The company is continuously striving to reduce environmental effects of its production activities as well as to ensure favorable living conditions for Mariupol inhabitants.
The ecological strategy of the enterprise development is based upon a complex program of reconstruction and modernization of production with the introduction of the new ecologically pure technologies taking into account increase in production.
Specialists of the Works with the help of leading scientific centers of Ukraine developed a long-term environmental program involving all major departments of metallurgical production. Its realization will allow substantially reduce pollutant emissions into environment with the account of increase in output.
The company continuously improves the environment management system considering it as one of the conditions of production competitive ability.
For the implementation this line the company assumes the following responsibilities:
- to introduce advanced technologies and update the existing manufacturing processes with the provision of reducing adverse environmental impact;
- to continuously improve environmental management system;
- to carry out quantitative assessment of environmental and health impact with the use of the methods available during investment project design;
- to optimize production processes, achieve energy saving, reduction of natural recourses intensity-of-use coefficient, decontamination and the usage of waste products;
- to dialogue openly with all the parties concerned about environmental aspects of the company`s development.
The problem of utilization of such waste products as scale, hearth cinder, undersized sinter, blast furnace dust, final tailings, is completely solved at works.
Converter slag is used at sinter production after processing. Blat-furnace slag is used for granulated slag and building materials production.
Waste petrochemicals trapped at water supply cycle cleaning systems are used in full volume for industrial lubricant production.
At present specific emission rates per ton of product output of PJSC “Ilyich Iron and Steel Works of Mariupol” do not exceed the rates of the top Ukrainian and Russian metallurgical companies.
PJSC “Ilyich Iron and Steel Works of Mariupol” has carried out a work on the cleaning of Kalchik bed.
In the nearest future the company intends to shut down open-hearth production, supply with modern high-effective cleaning systems the working equipment and the units in all metallurgical departments of the Works.